For 5 days, a research team from Columbia University traveled to Tampa Bay to deploy a suite of oceanographic sensors to collect data in a mangrove site and sea grass site. My partner and I built a fast pH/O2 sensor that was deployed for the first time. As always, field research means making mistakes and correcting them on the fly!
This year, my partner and I went back to Tampa Bay to deploy our fast pH/O2 sensor. Despite some difficulties, we successfully tested it out on some seagrasses and I expanded my work to include satellite data.
After mentoring last summer, I realized that the efficient implementation of basic statistical analyses, including Pearson's Correlation Coefficient, often isn't fully understood. I hope you enjoy this how-to, with images, Excel equations, and plenty of tips to make any of your future correlation-based data analysis much easier!
In the upcoming month, I'm headed to the Azores Islands of Portugal for a field course. As the marine specialist of the group, I was in charge of gathering information about this incredible ecosystem. Let this be your guide if you're trying to find a place where an unexpected ocean floor feature leads to amazing marine biodiversity.
Since beginning my work in biological oceanography, I've had to learn about a lot of new techniques. I hadn't ever made petri dishes before, so I figured I'd write a how-to. Now you can get ahead of the curve and skip some of the common mistakes! Happy plating 🙂
A few weeks ago, two professors and I went out onto the Hudson to measure particles from kayaks as a part of my PhD research on urban water quality. While data was collected, the resultant comedy of errors showed us instrument towing is from a motorboat for good reason!